WHAT IS PARKINSON’S?
Parkinson’s disease is caused by a breakdown in the nerve cells in the brain. The affected nerve cells do not produce enough dopamine, which affects your ability to move the way you want. Tremors, stiff muscles, slow movement, and trouble with balance or walking are all symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
In time, Parkinson’s affects muscles throughout the body, leading to difficulty with swallowing, digestion, facial movements and more.
PEDALING FOR PARKINSON’S
Pedaling a bicycle may change the life of someone with Parkinson’s disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35% reduction in symptoms by the simple act of pedaling a bicycle at a rapid pace – optimally 80-90 revolutions per minute.
Fast pedaling is not a cure of Parkinson’s disease and should not be described as such, but there is compelling evidence that it can make a real difference for many who try it.
We do know that fast-paced cycling is changing the lives of increasing numbers of participants who, before this, had no hope beyond medication and eventually surgery to slow the progression of their disease.
PEDALING FOR PARKINSON’S MISSION
The mission of Pedaling for Parkinson’s is:
- To improve the quality of life of Parkinson’s disease patients and their caregivers.
- To educate patients, caregivers, and the general public about the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle after a Parkinson’s diagnosis.
- To support research dedicated to the prevention and treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
Who can participate?
- Are 30-75 years old
- Are diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease
- Complete and provide a signed consent form and a medical clearance form
- Agree to periodically monitor progress
Parkinson’s patients with the following medical conditions are not eligible for this program:
- Cardiac or pulmonary disease
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
- Uncontrolled hypertension or stroke
- Other medical conditions that make exercise dangerous.
How much does it cost?
Classes are FREE for Y members. For community members, the cost is $5 per class.
How do I sign up?
Information and forms are available at your local branch.
Once you provide the completed forms, a staff member will contact you to schedule an orientation and initial class session.
What do I bring to class?
- Water bottle
- Bike pants or shorts
- Tennis shoes
- Heart rate monitor (polar brand is recommended) if you have one, if not one will be provided.
Sessions Currently Happening
Mondays at 5:30pm at Bethlehem YMCA (starting January 22)